It’s been two years since phosphates were phased out of dishwasher detergents. Even though manufacturers seem to have figured out how to get their formulas right, it is still more challenging than ever to get your dishes clean. Check out our tips below for cleaner dishes from your dishwasher.
1. Scrub the most heavily soiled dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
2. Run your dishwasher with full loads, but don’t overload it.
3. Face dirtier sides of dishes toward the center of the machine. Don’t block the jets.
4. Don’t allow bowls and utensils (especially spoons) to nest.
5. Use one of the 6 best automatic dishwasher detergents rated by About.com Housekeeping.
6. Cloudy glasses? Run an empty load once a month with some vinegar in the detergent dispenser. If that doesn’t work then your water jets may be clogged with mineral build-up. Try clearing each jet with a pin or a wire.
7. Clean your dishwasher on a regular basis. See our post: How to Clean Your Dishwasher
8. Run your dishwasher with hot water. The U.S. Department of Energy recommends dishwashers with a booster heater, which increases the temperature of the water entering the dishwasher to 140°F.
9. Use a rinse aid such as Finish Jet-Dry, especially if your water is hard. This will help prevent streaking and spotting.
Now it’s your turn. Do you have any tips that we have missed? Please leave a comment below.
To schedule a home cleaning with Maid in Chicago or for a FREE quote, give us a call at (312) 829-9600, or visit our website maidinchicago.us and fill out our online form. As part of our cleaning service we do do dishes, including loading and unloading dishwashers.